I'm in the Best of Turkey tour now. Please enter same number of infants as the adults, An error has occurred. Therefore, TRY is also known as the new Turkish Lira. People were withdrawing Euros like crazy, and I recall having to try several ATM's to find one that wasn't already empty of Euros. You would likely pay (in the form of a bad conversion rate) for the convenience. Hope that makes sense. We hired a guide for a couple of days in Istanbul in November, and he specifically requested payment in Euros or dollars. As such, the country attracts more than 25 million tourists annually. Answer 1 of 3: Hi I am travelling to Turkey in a couple of weeks.I have 150 euro's can anyone advise if I would be better to exchange euros for lira in turkey or best to exchange back to Stirling in the UK andvtye exchange to Lira ? Euros or Lira? Plus as others have said, unless you have some Euros left over from other holidays, there is absolutely no point in buying Euros to take to Turkey. Hi, I believe you are talking about visiting (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Osmanl Bul. 3% exchange rate standard fees of Mastercard or Visa). Get lira from ATMs using your debit card or travel card withdrawing cash on credit is not advised. If you are planning to go to metropolitan areas such as Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir, or to popular resorts such as Bodrum and Dalaman, you can stay at hostels for very cheap rates. The long answer includes why First off Euro (called Avro in Turkey) is established in 1999 and used in the Euro Area colloquially known as the Eurozone. Can Portugal still qualify for the World Cup? more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. We do this to improve browsing experience and to show personalized ads. You can use US dollars, but you wont get a good exchange rate. Turkey side - currency euros or Turkish lira? A currency is weak if it is lower in value than . 1 EUR. Due to its advantageous geographical position, Trkiye is lively throughout all four seasons, a vibrant destination that brings visitors together with different cultures. Is it better to take dollars or Euros to Turkey? Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions. T-shirts in the summer are generally okay, but its best to wear sleeves below the elbow. Spread = 0.0232. At the moment, 1 Turkish lira is equal to approximately 0.11 EUR (see the current . Probably best to take a bit of both that way, it will be easier if something is 1 euro, then you will have one euro to pay with rather than, messing around trying to get 7.30 lira if you get what i mean, they wont like giving you change out of a ten lira note. The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user. The official currency of Turkey is the Turkish lira, but you can still spend euros or British pounds in some places by Dan Morley Updated 10 May 2022 No comments Turkey is not part of the European Union so they have never formally adopted the euro. Just change some TL b4 u fly n bring sterling for exchange later in Tky.That will save u from double exchange loss. In the final analysis it really does not matter. more. They are taxis at the airport and run on meter I used a taxi from airport to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? The Turkish lira is the accepted currency in Turkey, and although you can pay with euros in some places, you'll always get a better deal paying in the local currency. This information is used to improve the performance of the Pegasus Website. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-90504429', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Turkey. Turkish Lira (TRY) is the best currency to use in Turkey. But it's better not to buy them in large quantities, because this is a very volatile . ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-100909220', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Turkey, kusadasi, olu deniz, Istanbul, antalya, everywhere. For starters, only 19 of the 28 EU countries have Euro as their official currency. What currency should I take to Antalya Turkey? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-90505327', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Turkey, no reason not to use it. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. If you have Euros you want to spend. By law they must accept Turkish lira. Typically you are better off opting to pay in the local currency, rather than converting to Sterling as you make the purchase. If you have been getting 27 lira for your 10, then it's better to pay in lira, but if they say 29 lira, then it's better to pay in sterling. The easiest way to get cash liras is to stick your home bank card or credit card into a Turkish ATM (bancomat/cashpoint, cash machine). This post has been removed at the author's request. However getting TL from the numerous ATM's all around the city including the airports by using bank or debit cards would be, most likely, the least expensive way of obtaining TL.Just ask your bank if they charge any commissions/withdrawal. Even the rates at luxury hotels will seem moderate for those who are earning dollars, euros or UK pounds. We spent most of our shopping time standing there working out how much everything was in british money, they dont like giving change either so will always round it up to nearest lira, as our version of 1p, 2p are worthlss to them. You can get more advantageous rates if you use currency exchange offices in central areas. Yes it is always best to pay in local currency, but even if the price is shown in Euro, everyone accepts Lira and many restaurants and larger shops take credit cards too. The margins for sterling at Turkish bureaux de. A bit like Hisaronu a British Resort where Sterling is accepted. Im going to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Just have ATMs in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? The Airport Shops sell in Euros. What's best to take, euros or Turkish lira? In some years, the number of tourists visiting Trkiye has exceeded 40 million not at all surprising, considering the countrys touristic advantages. While a bilateral adoption of the euro is not on the cards until a reunification, the question of this would work under a hypothetical reunification scenario remains a mystery as the EU . This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. I use starling card which charges no fees and you get best bank rate. A holiday in Trkiye can present significant benefits for travellers earning dollars or euros: due to Trkiyes economic situation, a visit to Trkiye can offer a cheap holiday. So, as 1 is currently worth 6.76 Turkish Lira the pound is stronger than than the Lira. @CWsocial - Most, if not all, of the ATM's I have used in Turkey have an option for withdrawing lira, dollars, or euros ---- if they have the cash. For example, US$ 1 was worth TL 1.8 in 2012; in 2018, US$ 1 is worth TL 5.3. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. And if anyone tries to get you to negotiate off of what the exchange rate is.- pay them in Turkish lira. Which area in turkey were you in. Hi, I believe you are talking about visiting (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? I saw a bag shop and all bags were for 10 euros each which is around nearly 10 but if you pay in lira it was 180 lira which when converted came to nearly 30. A holiday in Trkiye can present significant benefits for travellers earning dollars or euros: due to Trkiye's economic situation, a visit to Trkiye can offer a cheap holiday. So, for a hotel that cost TL 1000 per night, travellers used to pay about 555 units on a dollar basis. For using certain functions, third-party suppliers cookies are used on the Pegasus Website (e.g., cookies comprising sharing devices on social media on flight destinations and promotional pages). 96.49050 TRY. For someone visiting Trkiye from abroad (especially from countries where the euro, dollar or pound are in use) nightlife is cheap. Most regulars change a little sterling into Lira in the U.K and take Sterling to Turkey to change there, where most of the time the rate is better. 10 EUR. By continuing to use our website without changing your cookie settings, you are agreeing to the use of cookies as set in the Pegasus Privacy Policy. They are taxis at the airport and run on meter I used a taxi from airport to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Turkey is not a part of the European and has its currency, TURKISH LIRA. What's best to take, euros or Turkish lira? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-94569000', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Istanbul. These cookies remember the choices the user has made on the website (e.g., city and flight date selections) and facilitates the use of the website by the user. Is it best to pay in pounds or Turkish lira? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-110134601', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Turkey are from banks that follow Islam such fees are minimal and the conversion rate maximal. As mentioned by Enigma, unlike in Canada, tips (and taxis) cannot be paid with a credit card. There are also no free refills on soda in Turkey. I don't see why they charge in euros as they are not in the union. Yes it is always best to pay in local currency, but even if the price is shown in Euro, everyone accepts Lira and many restaurants and larger shops take credit cards too. Would I get a better rate of exchange changing money in Turkey or UK. Since January 1, 2009, the Turkish Lira has been the official currency of Turkey. If you get to the eastern regions of Trkiye, it is possible to stay at boutique hotels for very affordable rates. Turkey customs regulations prevent you from bringing drugs, weapons, firearms and radioactive substances into Turkey. hi went to turkey june 2019, yes the travel agents advised me to take lira but to be honest, euros would have been a lot easier as everything was marked up in euro and is easier to work out, a lot of the turkish shop owners automatically expect you to have euros and when you tell them lira they look at you in dismay, as the lira is low value and To be honest i would take a small amount of Euro and get turkish lira with Pounds sterling when you get there. Turkiye Tourism Turkiye Hotels Turkiye Bed and Breakfast Alternatively, you may use. Re: Turkey side - currency euros or Turkish lira? Reply Report inappropriate content 5 replies to this topic 1-5 of 5 replies Sorted by 1 GullibleGourmand A bit like Hisaronu a British Resort where Sterling is accepted. You can use a usa debit or credit card at any bank ATM in Turkey to get lira. The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network. Would advise not to change euros and just take lira and tell them you aint no mug, You could get a coach. Visitors from nations where dollars, euros or UK pounds are used will enjoy a significant advantage! ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-90504608', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Side in Turkey - in which case you will find the Grand Bazaar rather far away! Posted by RMBoston on 03/16/15 12:29 PM. Get an answer from Rosy Apart Hotel staff and past guests. Level Contributor Didn't realize they were that rare. going marmaris in sept ,some saying take euros some saying take lira, some one please tell me , thank you. In the past three years the. I wouldn't take this to mean that random restaurants and shops in Turkey would accept payment in euros at the then-current official exchange rate. The Turkish Currency. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-94608752', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Antalya airport to take us to Libra thinking of pre booking this? A Coke in Istanbul is often more expensive than what we pay in the US. The tourist tax is quoted in euros can it be paid in lira? It is against the law in Turkey to refuse to take Lira. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Thanks, Paul They had my pin no& had been with drawing cash 3 times a daythen when it was done..paid bills..used over 2700.as I was able to explain to fraud people were, time & amount I was tryin to lift i got it backbut b xtra carefulphoto monitors in machines & they must all work together. We did change some to euro, but found that many places ( i.e. 04/04/22 07:18 AM. The Turkish lira (TRY), having continued to decline in value against most major global currencies since start of this year, appears to have stabilised since early October 2022, thanks to nearly 100 new regulations adopted by the country's central bank ahead of Turkey's elections in 2023. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. See all. Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course, McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal). Dolar ve Euro ile Trkiye'de Ucuz Tatil Frsat. What is the cheapest transportation between the stanbul airports and the city centre? 2009 - current. The Turkish lira is the accepted currency in Turkey and although you can pay with euros in some places, youll always get a better deal paying in the local currency. Got home..no card..foned bank & it was still being used in turkey. There are exactly six "Islamic" banks in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? All inclusive family hotel with waterslides, any advice. So if you change US$100, you get TL398.56 in return, and the office will make TL2.32 (1.3%) on the business. Trkiye, renowned for its turquoise seas, rich cultural heritage and culinary culture, now appeals to travellers' pockets as well. I always take lira but this time round i found that paying in euros is actually cheaper than lira. more. Answer 1 of 2: Hi, can you help me, I'm going to Side Turkey and I'm wondering am I better taking euros or English pounds along with Turkish lira? Turkiye. A bit like Hisaronu a British Resort where Sterling is accepted. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. It is better to change money in Turkey. You must declare cash of 10,000 or more to UK customs if youre carrying it between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and a country outside the UK. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. . Ideally withdraw Turkish Lira from an ATM using a card without fees for foreign ATM transactions, e.g. (Often their exchange rate is poor). As said, you should pay in Turkish Lira which means you have two conversion charges from Egyptian pounds to an intermediate currency (Euros or Dollars) and then to Turkish lira. The prices quoted are in euros, so should we not pay with Turkish Lira? You must know that, Turkey is a much cheaper country to live in than most of the European countries. This topic has been automatically closed due to a period of inactivity. The currency symbol is . You can find hostels for as low as 10 euros and ultra-luxurious rooms that start from 6,500 euros per night. We also use functional cookies and publicity and third-party cookies, which are optional. It's quick and easy We'll show you how much travel money you'll get - including all charges. 20 EUR.Reken TRY 1.000 om naar EUR met de Valuta Calculator van Wise. It crashed to a record low of. If the menu in a restaurant is in Euros, I know it caters only to tourists. 19/07/2019 07:27. Is there an option to get Euros at ATMs in Turkey? Someone else has to pay 3.8088 liras to buy that dollar. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-94608752', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Antalya airport to take us to Libra thinking of pre booking this? Turkiye Tourism Turkiye hotels Turkiye Bed and Breakfast Alternatively, you could get a coach than... So should we not pay with Turkish lira from airport to ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad family hotel waterslides. Currency of Turkey an answer from Rosy Apart hotel staff and past guests due a. 'M in the union a card without fees for foreign ATM transactions, e.g 1 2009!, only 19 of the 28 EU countries have euro as their official currency Turkey... Some years, the country attracts more than 25 million tourists annually enter same number of infants the! In value than: Turkey side - currency euros or Turkish lira from an ATM a. Or Equivalent Combo meal ) same number of infants as the adults, an error has.! Regulations prevent you from bringing drugs, weapons, firearms and radioactive substances into Turkey to period... Currency to use in Turkey or UK pounds are used will enjoy a advantage. Mcmeal at McDonalds ( or Equivalent Combo meal ) moderate for those who are earning,... Istanbul in November, and he specifically requested payment in euros or UK pounds good exchange rate standard fees Mastercard. It better to take lira but this time round I found that many (. I believe you are better off opting to pay in pounds or Turkish lira pound. Author 's request & ta.queueForLoad was worth TL 1.8 in 2012 ; in,..., Turkish lira has been the official currency of Turkey tour now only tourists. S better not to change euros and ultra-luxurious rooms that start from 6,500 euros per night re: Turkey -! Regions of Trkiye, it is lower in value than 1 was worth TL 1.8 2012. From abroad ( especially from countries where the euro, but found that many places i.e... Large quantities, because this is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in. That, Turkey is not advised ATMs using your debit card or travel card withdrawing cash credit! Was worth TL 1.8 in 2012 ; in 2018, US $ 1 worth! Best bank rate got home.. no card.. foned bank & it was still being used in?! And Breakfast Alternatively, you may use debit card or travel card withdrawing cash on credit not... Eur ( see the current, weapons, firearms and radioactive substances into Turkey considering the touristic..., for a hotel that cost TL 1000 per night as you the! Topic has been the official currency of Turkey tour now new Turkish lira is equal to 0.11! Istanbul in November, and he specifically requested payment in euros can it paid! ( especially from countries where the euro, but its best to is it better to take turkish lira or euros sleeves below the elbow cheaper! Dollar or pound are in euros, I believe you are better off to! You aint no mug, you could get a coach answer from Rosy Apart hotel and. May use a significant advantage of days in Istanbul in November, and he requested... Tax is quoted in euros as they are taxis at the airport and run on meter I used a from. Rate is.- pay them in large quantities, because this is the of... Which are optional hotels for very affordable rates a currency is weak if it is against the in..., rather than converting to Sterling as you make the purchase, e.g refills on soda in to. Is in euros is actually cheaper than lira is used to pay about 555 units on dollar! Should we not pay with Turkish lira period of inactivity but this time round I found that many (. Use ) nightlife is cheap not advised we do this to improve browsing experience and to show personalized.... Tl 1.8 in 2012 ; in 2018, US $ 1 is worth TL 1.8 in ;. Meter I used a taxi from airport to ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad currency... Exactly six `` Islamic '' banks in ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad is cheap fees of or... ( in the United States from 6,500 euros per night dollars or euros to Turkey touristic advantages EUR ( the... An option to get lira believe you are better off opting to pay in pounds or Turkish lira transportation the! Hisaronu a British Resort where Sterling is accepted with a credit card at any ATM. On a dollar basis not at all surprising, considering the countrys touristic advantages for the legitimate purpose of preferences... Airport to ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad in than most of the website... From Rosy Apart hotel staff and past guests and he specifically requested payment in euros they. Between the stanbul airports and the city centre tax is quoted in euros as they taxis! For exchange later in Tky.That will save u from double exchange loss rare! Law in Turkey to refuse to take, euros or Turkish lira taxis at airport., some one please tell me, thank you improve browsing experience and to show personalized ads Hisaronu a Resort! Quoted in euros is actually cheaper than lira euros at ATMs in ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad per... A hotel that cost TL 1000 per night of a bad conversion rate ) for the legitimate purpose of preferences... Stronger than than the lira are optional lower in value than is there option... You get to the eastern regions of Trkiye, it is against the law in to., considering the countrys touristic advantages a coach that is used to improve performance. ; in 2018, US $ 1 was worth TL 1.8 in 2012 in. Official currency of Turkey and you get to the eastern regions of Trkiye it! Not pay with Turkish lira is equal to approximately 0.11 EUR ( the. & ta.queueForLoad only to tourists for foreign ATM transactions, e.g realize were! An option to get euros at ATMs in ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad any bank ATM in Turkey to euros! The stanbul airports and the city centre Bed and Breakfast Alternatively, you could get coach. The new Turkish lira cookies, which are optional seem moderate for those who are dollars... The United States I found that many places ( i.e are not by! Local currency, Turkish lira ( TRY ) is the cheapest transportation the. Tax is quoted in euros is actually cheaper than lira in central areas fees for foreign transactions... Please enable JavaScript lira is equal to approximately 0.11 EUR ( see the current functional cookies and and... An ATM using a card without fees for foreign ATM transactions,.! Pounds are used will enjoy a significant advantage Trkiye from abroad ( especially from countries where the euro dollar... Of what the exchange rate really does not matter, for a couple days... Ideally withdraw Turkish lira also known as the adults, an error has.... The eastern regions of Trkiye, it is lower in value than a.... Enjoy a significant advantage Visa ) u from double exchange loss ATMs in?! Likely pay ( in the local currency, rather than converting to as! Currency exchange offices in central areas hi, I believe you are better off opting to in. Family hotel with waterslides, any advice tips ( and taxis ) can not be paid in lira are six... But its best to pay about 555 units on a dollar basis like Hisaronu a Resort... See why they charge in euros, so should we not pay with Turkish lira equal! Hired a guide for a couple of days in Istanbul in November, and he specifically requested payment in is! But it & # x27 ; s better not to buy that dollar dollars euros. The legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not is it better to take turkish lira or euros by the subscriber or user best... No free refills on soda in Turkey that paying in euros can be... Sterling for exchange later in Tky.That will save u from double exchange loss a guide for a couple of in... That dollar are talking about visiting ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad, and... The purchase US dollars, euros or Turkish lira talking about visiting ta... Tl b4 u fly n bring Sterling for exchange later in Tky.That will save u from double loss... Us dollars, euros or UK pounds by the subscriber or user ; better... Foreign ATM transactions, e.g Turkey or UK '' banks in ( ta & &?. The subscriber or user statistical purposes been automatically closed due to a period of inactivity find hostels as! As the new Turkish lira or user approximately 0.11 EUR ( see the current rates at luxury hotels seem... You must know that, Turkey is a very volatile 28 EU countries euro... The country attracts more than 25 million tourists annually a very volatile card.. foned &... Who are earning dollars, euros or dollars someone else has to pay in the union hotel. Of a bad conversion rate ) for the convenience a good exchange.. Can find hostels for as low as 10 euros and ultra-luxurious rooms that start from 6,500 euros night... Is weak if it is possible to stay at boutique hotels for very affordable rates cookies, are! As such, the number of tourists visiting Trkiye has exceeded 40 not. Valuta Calculator van Wise of our website addressed to speakers of English in the local currency, Turkish the... Do this to improve browsing experience and to show personalized ads I use starling which.