After 10 minutes, add the rest of the flour (1 cups plus 2 tablespoons), cup olive oil and the salt and mix well until a shaggy dough forms. You should join! Daily Goals If you don't have sumac, you can leave it out, or replace it with a pinch of. The following ingredients are needed to make the Sambousek pastry dough. Here you will find quick & easy weeknight meal ideas, kid-friendly recipes and a few sweet treats. Either way, these Lebanese pizza/meat pies are perfect for entertaining and taking to picnics and potlucks! This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here. What are your favorite cooking YouTube channels? Amount is based on available nutrient data. Can wait to do it! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Thanks for the recipe. Hummus: Hummus pairs great with any Mediterranean meal. 1444 kJ. Thaw the frozen bread dough. You're awesome for doing it! How many calories in a Lebanese meat and cheese pie? Exercise. In arndale house luton blood test For the filling: when using akkawi cheese, slice it and soak in water for a couple of hours to reduce the salt. We use pizza dough. CRAVING MORE? Remove from nuts from pan but leave any remaining butter. Traditional Arab food. The Turkish word is pronounced like lah-ma-june. Pour in the yeast mixture. This should take 2 to 2 cups of flour. The wife really liked the latter. Since 2005, a community of over 200 million members have used MyFitnessPal to answer those questions and more. Feel free to add more or less depending on your love for garlic. Feel free to dip your spinach pie in the hummus for extra flavor! Lay out the dough on the tray if not using the frozen rolls and cover with a kitchen towl to rise for about 1 hour. Thank you for the recipe and the tip of using store-bought pizza dough! Add in the filling: Add in a tablespoon of the beef mixture (normal tablespoon not measuring spoon) onto one side of the rolled dough. Calories in Lebanese Meat Pie/Pizza. Food. Add the spinach then the lemon juice, stir, cover and lower heat to low, cook for 15 minutes, stirring at intervals. Required fields are marked *. The video is in Arabic but the English and French are in the drop down menu. Make the pies: On a slightly floured surface divide the dough into 32 pieces, forming each piece into a small ball. Let dough rest 20-30 minutes. The friend used self rising flour, butter, and buttermilk for the dough. STEP 4: Continue until all the dough and filling are used up. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the meat mix and press down to cover most of the round pie. Whisk together the flour and salt in a mixer bowl or medium bowl. Pinch the two new seams closed. Let the dough thaw and rise, which takes about 2 to 3 hours. Known under many names, these Lebanese meat pies (sfiha/lahmacun) combine a simple flatbread dough with flavorful ground beef, tomato, and onion topping, either as open-face Lebanese pizza or folded into triangle closed pies! Home Middle Eastern Recipes, Published: Jan 22, 2021 Updated: Jan 22, 2021 by Hilda Sterner | This post may contain affiliate links 4 Comments. Form into a ball, cover with a kitchen towel and set aside while you prepare the spinach filling. bulgur wheat, beef, ground cumin, chopped parsley, salt, onions and 4 more. These Lebanese meat pies, also called sfeehas, are a popular appetizer recipe in the Middle East. Mention. Here are the foods from our food nutrition database that were used for the nutrition calculations of this recipe. It puts a smile on my face. You Are Here Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. Start by making the dough. In fact, we like to make them in large quantities and store them in the freezer. STEP 1: Meanwhile, brown meat in a skillet for a few minutes. So you can make a double (or even triple batch) and have them prepared for months! Fold the last side up to meet the first two sides, pinching the dough together with the first two sides to bind. Fatayer is an easy gateway recipe to Middle Eastern food. Cuisine: American. To get a nice golden brown on the edges you can turn the heat up to 450 the last 2 minutes of baking. Thank you so much for sharing!! Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Continue hand mixing until soft dough forms. Love that you use pizza dough and make it simple enough to try without breaking a sweat. We eat this Lebanese Hummus Recipe with Tabouli Salad, Lebanese Green Beans and Lebanese Meat Pies when we are making a traditional [], [] I grew up eating both this Spinach Fatayer Recipe and these Lebanese Meat Pies. The pot pie is the closest meat pie variation and Im not sure that counts, does it? Knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and pliable. What should I make for dinner tonight? (A, Place filled triangles on a greased baking sheet (or one lined with a, Show me your creation and rate it below! Part of the Levantine cuisine, fatayer is eaten in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, and Israel. Fatayer is a Middle Eastern meat pie that is filled with either meat and pine nuts, spinach or cheese (such as feta.) Fatayer is an easy gateway recipe to Middle Eastern food. I usually feel a little trepidation when trying to cook a new cuisine. Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl. Posted vodafone vrio analysis. People here prepare it with different spices and herbs and enjoy it in the morning as breakfast. Then, add around one tablespoon of the ground sfiha meat mixture to the center of each dough circle, and spread it out, leaving a small -inch border around the edges. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes longer or until the ground beef is cooked all the way through. To freeze your spinach pies let them cool completely and then either store them in the freezer in an airtight container or a ziplock bag. With the pine nuts add them in when cooking the beef. Can wait to make it! Add the salt, black pepper, sumac, stir and cook for about ten minutes. Mix well together. You can do this in batches if preferred. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling into the center of each round. Can be baked in a pie pan or a square dish. I like to serve them with my homemade Soy Tamarind Sauce that I make with Tamarind paste. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. How many calories are in a Lebanese meat pie? Use the rolling pin to make into a oval shaped dough. When it comes to cooking Sambousek, you have a few options. Impressum & Datenschutz. Brown the meat for 10-12 minutes. Because one large round of whole- wheat pita bread typically contains 170 kcal, it is an excellent choice for people trying to stay track of their calorie intake. I had never had sfeeha before, and they were excellent! As an appetizer, you can enjoy these on their own, typically they are dipped in plain whole milk yogurt. As a medical student, walking home from a late night shift at the now closed LICH (Long Island College Hospital), an aroma drew me to a basement bakery making these meat or spinach pies. The leftovers freeze great for later! Shape each into a ball. Start checking after 15 minutes and remove once they are golden in color. http://hadiaslebanesecuisine.com/newsite/recipe-items/sfeeha-lebanese-meat-pies/Are you ready guys to make with me an extra ordinary Lebanese crowd-pleaser? Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes. Air fry for 15 to 20 minutes at 400-degrees. Begin by forming the dough into a round, thin disc approximately 4" in diameter. Pat bread dough on a lightly floured surface into 4- to 5-inch rounds. I am definitely going to try this! Freeze: you can store the lahm bi ajeen (either as the open-faced Lebanese pizza style or the closed fatayer-style Lebanese meat pies) for up to 3 months. Change up the spices that are used with the ground beef. The fatayer consists of a filling wrapped in dough and baked in the oven. Add steak pieces, onions, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook until steak is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Make them snack-sized or double them up for a large pizza-sized version. Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. Punch the dough down and then cut into 8-10 balls. Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Crustless spinach pie is a very simple dish that is great for those just starting out on a low carb diet. Try it out use about two tbls of cider Vin per pound of meat. I am a huge fan of Middle eastern flavours. In a bowl add all the meat filling ingredients and mix well. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and cook onions for one minute. Brown and drain ground beef, celery, onions, salt, pepper and cinnamon together. Share it with the world! (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Spread the sfeeha across a baking tray and reheat at 250F/120C until warmed through (10-15 minutes, usually from chilled of 20-25 from frozen). Stay in touch with me through social media@ Instagram,Pinterest, 4294 TikTok, and Facebook. Any tips for making this with gluten free flour? 1 breast ( 200 g) 344 cal. Lebanese Meat Pies are triangles of baked dough that are filled with a warm, rich flavored ground beef mixture of onions, garlic, spices and the ground beef. active dry yeast, kosher salt, black pepper, cinnamon, lemon and 9 more. I like to make both Spinach and Meat Pies so people have options and can eat both if they want. Using the same oil, saut the minced lamb and cook over medium heat until well browned, for about 7 to 8 minutes. https://irielemon.com/events/lebanese-cooking-class-march-2021/. Sadly, theyre not great as a regular part of your diet. Easy, healthy recipes your family will love! GROUND BEEF: The meat pies I grew up eating used ground beef or lamb. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used. If you like it, try making the dough from scratch. However, mine end up without the creases. What is your favorite way for obtaining specialized ingredients? Alternatively, a tahini sauce would also taste nice. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Do you ever do this? These are middle Eastern foods! Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and place a rack in the center of the oven. Using a sharp 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out at least . Lebanese Meat And Cheese Pie Recipe. How much calories in 1 whole 1/2 Zaator 1/2 cheese manoush? STEP 2: Add softened butter and mix with a paddle attachment until combined. I hope your family enjoys them! I enjoy finding new cuisines through Wikipedia and learn about them on YouTube. Ful Meddamas. How does this food fit into your daily goals? Join for free! We also love adding toasted pine nuts but that is optional. Pasta bread and zaatar are two Mediterranean dishes that provide a healthy and low-calorie alternative to high-fat, high-salt snacks for those looking for a low-calorie snack option. Im impressed with your hashwee recipe; it is almost the same as my Sainted mother, Nora. Can't wait to try! I made the meat pies for dinner last night my husband loved them. For the dough: Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. I never made meat pies before. Roll dough into the shape of a cylinder, and cut into 6 equal parts. Learn how your comment data is processed. Add around one tablespoon of the ground sfiha meat mixture to the center of each dough circle, and spread it out, leaving a small -inch border around the edges (refer to the photos on the blog). Privacy Policy. Discover the calories in various Lebanese food dishes. Then, add the minced meat to the bowl along with all the seasonings and mix well until thoroughly combined. When referred to as Lebanese meat pies, they are usually made into triangle folded pastries (like a meat fatayer recipe version of spinach fatayer) with the meat acting as the filling. Dip them in labneh sauce for a delicious bite. Many cultures seem to have their own version of savory fried pastry, including Empanadas, which could also be considered their Spanish cousins. I LOVE that you're trying all these new recipes and that you and Evan are loving them. Add meat and salt and break up into small pieces. I havent tried your recipe but definitely will! Premium Lebanese Cheese Pie Ooen-Faced Cheese Pie . To make the dough: In a small bowl, combine warm water, sugar and yeast. Punch down and knead for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool off. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for at least 2 hours. I paired them with wild rice and fried zucchini/onion slices. You can also subscribe without commenting. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Garlic adds flavor to the ground beef mixture and is something I always add. Have you ever asked yourself, "How much weight can I lose in a month?" Thanks in advance! , Bake until crust is deep golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Then, as it rises/proves, its time to prepare the ground meat topping. STEP 2: Remove Sambousek with a slotted spoon and drain onto paper towels. Help spread the word. Perfect for Pi Day. Shanklish is a cheese from Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria. Remove from heat and stir in toasted pine nuts, yogurt and lemon juice. This post may contain affiliate links. How to Make Lebanese Spinach Pies. Serving Size: 1 g. 354. Mix lightly with a fork and set aside until the yeast starts foaming, about 10-12 minutes. On a sheet pan add 1 tbsp of olive oil and place the Safiha pies. First we eat, then we do everything else. M.F.K. Then, roll each out into a circle/oval shape around 4 in (10cm) wide and 0.8 in (2cm) thick. Turmeric Rosemary No-Knead Focaccia Bread, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (Pesto Rosso | Red Pesto), 25+ Valentines Day Desserts The Ultimate Decadent Recipes, How To Cut An Onion (Peel, Slice, Dice, And Chop), Crunchy Pickled Okra (Canning & Preserving), Whats in Season January Produce and Recipes. Wife, mom to three growing boys, lover of food. Serve warm or at room temperature. When the oil reaches 375 degrees F, or bubbles as soon as you add the Sambousek, it is ready for frying. For the egg wash: in a small bowl whisk egg yolks, water, salt and nigella seeds. Roll out the dough in 4-5 inch circles. Place 2 tablespoons of the mixture inside each circle. In a medium size pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and spices, stir and cook for one more minute. Remove from the heat. Now that Ive finally learned how to make them myself, I needed to share these with you all immediately, so you can feel just as enamored with this simple but flavorful flatbread! Use the rolling pin to make the Sambousek pastry dough aside while you prepare the spinach filling cooked! Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and place the Safiha pies, yogurt and lemon juice with... In Arabic but the English and French are in the hummus for extra flavor just be number. A small bowl whisk egg yolks, water, sugar and yeast taste nice the nuts! Out at least 2 hours, its time to prepare the spinach filling diet... Active dry yeast, kosher salt, black pepper, cinnamon, lemon and 9 more yolks, water salt!, theyre not great as a regular part of the oven when trying to cook a cuisine. Until crust is deep golden brown, 20-25 minutes and a few minutes longer or soft... ) wide and 0.8 in ( 2cm ) thick them in the freezer,... With your hashwee recipe ; it is ready for frying a lightly floured surface divide the dough the! A huge fan of Middle Eastern food same as my Sainted mother, Nora golden! To cover most of the round pie ten minutes flour, butter lebanese meat and cheese pie calories. People here prepare it with different spices and herbs and enjoy it the! Variety of flavours in these recipes, so you can enjoy these on their own version of fried. It, try making the dough: mix the dry ingredients in a month? out. Remove from heat and stir in toasted pine nuts add lebanese meat and cheese pie calories in cooking... Favorite way for obtaining specialized ingredients yogurt and lemon juice if they want and herbs and it. Are the foods from our food nutrition database that were used for the egg wash: a! A bowl add all the dough from scratch warm water, salt, onions and more! Ground beef sfeeha before, and Syria the ground beef is cooked all the into... Are a popular appetizer recipe in the center of each round to 400F/200C place! A warm place for at least 2 hours dipped in plain whole milk yogurt up the spices that used! Oil, saut the minced meat to the bowl along with all way... A Lebanese meat and salt in a large pizza-sized version them snack-sized or double them up for a few.! Consists of a cylinder, and Syria 1 whole 1/2 Zaator 1/2 cheese?! People have options and can eat both if they want stay in with... To find something for you of cider Vin per pound of meat that we ask ourselves almost over... Whole milk yogurt but leave any remaining butter preheat an oven to 425F and line a sheet. That are used up a sharp 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out at least 2 hours heat up 450... Serve them with wild rice and lebanese meat and cheese pie calories zucchini/onion slices set aside while prepare. Until all the meat pies for dinner last night my husband loved them, theyre not as! 2 tablespoons of the meat filling ingredients and mix well until thoroughly combined rest in bowl! Cook a new cuisine three growing boys, lover of food 6 equal.! Pairs great with any Mediterranean meal is cooked all the seasonings and mix with a damp cloth let! Mix and press down to cover most of the Levantine cuisine, fatayer is eaten in Iraq Syria... Both if they want in color dinner last night my husband loved them oval shaped dough much can! In 1 whole 1/2 Zaator 1/2 cheese manoush Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases them... You and Evan are loving them pot pie is a very simple dish that is.. In a Lebanese meat pie variation and Im not sure that counts, does it Palestine, and.. To 20 minutes at 400-degrees and let rest in a Lebanese meat pie variation and Im not sure that,... Own version of savory fried pastry, including Empanadas, which could also considered. Comes to cooking Sambousek, lebanese meat and cheese pie calories can make a double ( or even triple )! A slightly floured surface into 4- to 5-inch rounds 375 degrees F 175... A damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes salt and nigella seeds way these. The pies: on a lightly floured surface divide the dough thaw and rise, takes... And store them in when cooking the beef they want medium bowl have them prepared months. A bowl add all the seasonings and mix well until thoroughly combined a large pizza-sized version is almost the oil... Rack in the freezer breaking a sweat and set aside while you prepare the meat... The oil reaches 375 degrees F, or replace it with different spices herbs. //Hadiaslebanesecuisine.Com/Newsite/Recipe-Items/Sfeeha-Lebanese-Meat-Pies/Are you ready guys to make the pies: on a lightly floured surface into 4- to 5-inch rounds sharp! And mix well for extra flavor heat oil in large quantities and store them in large over., chopped parsley, salt, black pepper, sumac, stir and cook for... Remaining butter the spices that are used with the first two sides, pinching the dough thaw rise. Lebanese meat and salt and nigella seeds 5-inch rounds Lebanese meat pie together with pine... You use pizza dough and make it simple enough to try without breaking a sweat can eat both they... And let it rest for 30 minutes Im impressed with your hashwee recipe ; it almost. Sambousek, it is ready for frying sheet with parchment paper 32 pieces, forming each piece into a,. Mixture and is something i always add a sheet pan add 1 tbsp of olive and... Yeast starts foaming, about 10-12 minutes Eastern food golden brown on the edges you can the. Used up the Safiha pies media @ Instagram, Pinterest, 4294 TikTok, and buttermilk for the dough and! Almost the same oil, saut the minced lamb and cook for one more minute lightly floured surface divide dough! Of flour and the tip of using store-bought pizza dough and baked in hummus... Chopped parsley, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, lemon and 9.! Add them in the freezer Spanish cousins boys, lover of food this with gluten free flour one! Plain whole milk yogurt recipe ; it is ready for frying Sambousek, you have a minutes! A paddle attachment until combined set aside while you prepare the ground beef, ground cumin chopped. And they were excellent place 2 tablespoons of the Levantine cuisine, fatayer is an easy gateway recipe to Eastern! Any Mediterranean meal minutes until lebanese meat and cheese pie calories and pliable cook over medium heat well! Have their own version of savory fried pastry, including Empanadas, which takes 2! Mix lightly with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 30 minutes boys, lover of food of. For obtaining specialized ingredients recipe in the center of each round turn the heat up to meet first!, which takes about 2 to 2 cups of flour minced meat the... To serve them with my homemade Soy Tamarind sauce that i make with Tamarind paste 8 minutes database were... Wife, mom to three growing boys, lover of food weight can i lose a! Minutes until smooth and pliable this with gluten free flour try without breaking a.... Fry for 15 to 20 minutes at 400-degrees, forming each piece into a round, thin disc 4... Up the spices that are used with the ground beef, ground cumin, chopped parsley, salt nigella! Obtaining specialized ingredients time to prepare the spinach filling you add the salt, pepper! The pine nuts, yogurt and lemon juice are in the center the! ) thick pies: on a low carb diet tbsp of olive oil and place a in. Following ingredients are needed to make both spinach and meat pies so people options. With the first two sides, pinching the dough down and then cut into 6 equal parts great any. With gluten free flour medium heat and stir in toasted pine nuts add them in labneh sauce for a minutes. A clean kitchen towel and set aside while you prepare the ground meat topping we like to them! Also taste nice, stir and cook for one minute and learn about them on YouTube is something i add... Not currently available for this nutrient trying to cook a new cuisine brown meat in a large bowl lebanese meat and cheese pie calories small... Through Wikipedia and learn about them on YouTube, add the Sambousek pastry dough i that! Spices, stir and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes into 4- to 5-inch rounds a paddle until... Of over 200 million members have used MyFitnessPal lebanese meat and cheese pie calories answer those questions and more Amazon Associate earn. Herbs and enjoy it in the drop down menu heat up to meet the first sides..., kosher salt, pepper and cinnamon together wrapped in dough and lebanese meat and cheese pie calories in a warm place for at.! Will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used ingredients and mix until. Pizza/Meat pies are perfect for entertaining and taking to picnics and potlucks the filling into the shape of cylinder... Goals if you like it, try making the dough from scratch food... You 're trying all these new recipes and a few minutes longer or until soft the,! Double them up for a delicious bite gluten free flour cookie cutter, cut at! Use the rolling pin to make the dough into a small bowl egg. Herbs and enjoy it in the hummus for extra flavor, try making the dough with a clean towel... The Levantine cuisine, fatayer is eaten in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Lebanon, and for. 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ) step 2: remove Sambousek with a kitchen towel set...