Spread on, buff off. Any oil that gets on a glue surface will adversely impact the glue bond. They do it to cause the color of the wood to be darker after finishing. We are getting a little push back from on contractor on using this product for those areas and Im not sure why. I am going to use a clear epoxy for the large knot holes and wanted to level these shallow void areas also although I am concerned about the color difference this will create when I come back with the Monocoat 2C Pure. So you have to really commit and just slather it on. As an example, a 4824 coffee table works out to about 16+ square feet (plus side edges), so we would mix up about 40ML total of Rubio MonoCoat to begin with (30ML Part A + 10ML Part B, because of the 3:1 ratio). Vent hoods can get REAL nasty. There is really no film, so theres nothing to polish. Sanding crushes the fibers and sanding to a higher grit brings those crushed fibers down to a minimum but also burnishes the surface and closes off the grain to some extent. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". I really need to get the application done this weekend but we are having a freak winter storm in Texas. African Rosewood for the base and hard maple for the top. Thanks in advance. I tried it on a few scrap pieces and it dramatically improved the depth and sheen. Be careful not to mix more than you need. This is usually tolerable when the epoxy is in a knot because we kind of expect there to me a visual difference there. The only way to clean them of excess Rubio is to actually get something absorbant down into the holes, like a Q tip. When the slab . Hey Marc, thanks for the advice here. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". The surface will be rough to the touch and not a good surface for furniture. I've seen Black Tail Studio and a couple other people sand up to 220/320 but that being said . Im sure theyd say dont do it because its hard for them to warranty the product if you add in a variable like that. Rags saturated in oil are combustible and require proper disposal. Everything else went very smoothly. How does this product work with small sections of wood fillers? Rubio wants to bind to wood fibers so a planed surface gives the finish plenty of access. I can only say I havent seen that myself. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. . Ill do a second coat tomorrow and hopefully it will look a little more to my taste. Does my plan of soaking / cleaning it with Naptha first and then sanding down with 60-120-150/180 sound reasonable and achievable prep? (How To Extend An Outlet For Tile Or Wainscoting The Easiest And Safest Way). Ill call rubio later today to see what they say, but i can guess what theyll advise lol. So everything had to be finished just right before he got here. I was just about sold on the Rubio Monocoat and remembered the vent hood is done in a horizontal nickel gap using 16 white oak. I have sanded higher with no major issues that I have seen. If you oil a larger surface like a tabletop, you may also use a small spreader tool like a Bondo-spreader or a small window squeegee. It is a great example for me. OMG, this is all so cool! I tried Rubio Renew on it to shine it up a bit and found it didnt do much. Its matte with a touch of satin, at best. Im considering using Rubio on maple kitchen countertops were building. This ensures that our oils are eco-friendly, are easy to apply and of superior quality. We have a reclaimed white oak table we are looking to finish using the Rubio 2c product. If you prefer a color, it typically requires apply stain and allowing it to fully dry prior to applying the poly. After drying I am able to feel the raised grain of the wood. If you prefer colors that are more in the primary color and whimsical color range and heavier pigmented with a semi-solid appearance,Rubio Monocoatalso has an additional product choice, Hybrid Wood Protector (HWP). Any reason why? However, there are millions of products and services on the web, and I only promote those products or services that I would use personally. I have learned a ton watching your channel over the years! Thank you for making this possible. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. I mean, it is silky smooth! Allow the applied oil to molecularly bond with the wood for 3-5 minutes. Thanks for your reply! Your email address will not be published. Traditional polyurethanewood finishes are available in oil-based and waterborne formulations. The leg with the second sanding to 220-grit and a second coat of Rubio Monocoat is so unbelievably smooth. Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Can I use an 600 or 800 grit pad to smooth or do I wait 7 days or use the maintenance oil and white pad again??? Thanks for the video, applying both the monocoat and maintenance oil on a cherry table. Ive been working on it full time for a client for 4 months, and have buikt the entire project twice due to a terminal mistake the first go round. Continue excess removal untila clean rag doesn't pull product. Rubio usually recommend not sanding past 150 because the oil binds more effectively at lower grits. Thank you for the awesome tutorial. Do you have any experience with the dyed Rubio Monocoat? If you have any other advise please feel free. The product does go a long way though, 300-500 sq ft of coverage depending on wood porosity. Thats not to say that you wont have the same opinion even after applying it correctly as its not the right finish for everyone, but I think its a bit unfair to make a definitive call on the finish when the preparation was flawed. the company recommends sanding to only 120 and I break that recommendation by going to 180. ", "Incredible! Thats actually the focus this video from 5:30 on. I have just finished shaping and sanding a white oak river table with epoxy down the length of the table top in the center. Raffle tickets are available now for just $5! 24 hrs later surface feels like it did after water poping. It looks beautiful but the finish is super prone to water rings. The products do have coverage numbers included if you want to do a little math. Lightly scuff the surface using a maroon Scotch-Brite style pad. Some Exclusions Apply. It takes training and lots of it. So it was a close finish, but I did get everything done in time for our scheduled appointment for the guy to come and do the templates. Theysaturate the wood and allow keep the natural look and feel. I guess I would have hung the top of the vanities off the wall and eliminated the back legs. Honestly you can do whatever you like. Thoughts? I always go to 220. Yes definitely better with w/ 2 coats and finer sanding. I realize that Rubio says they cant guarantee it will work, but no one seems to know the answer in the internet tubes. My question is about glue up. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Rubio Monocoat USA Oil Plus 2C A 0% VOC hardwax oil wood finish based on a unique technology that is easy to apply, easy to maintain, and keeps the natural look and feel of the wood. But I would highly recommend a second sanding and a second coat, at least on walnut. Allow the previously oiled wood to dry at least 24-36 hours (granted the drying conditions are favorable). Any progress with your project? This is why you should quickly and generously apply paint stripper to the surface. I was thinking Johnsons Paste Wax, but Ive been told once I go down that road, the table wont take other products. Which one would you recommend? With veneered surfaces, be careful not to damage the veneer as it is easy to sand through the thin veneer layer! Will 100% be using this everywhere I can". Hey Bob. Just need to find a color thats close to what you have with the finish. Do you find you need to sand any end grain to a finer grit than other non end grain faces when using the hard wax oils? You can sort of rub them away if you catch them very quickly but I have a few seemingly permanent water stains already. Would it work with a Marc juice base coat? I did two coats with a week in between as I have seen several recommendations that gives a slightly higher sheen. Thanks. Im looking to get the monocoat oil plus 2c. Interesting. Because you'll mix Part A with Part B at a ratio of 3:1 (A:B), divide the total amount needed by 4. Required fields are marked *. As for the sheen, this stuff only gets so shiny. I started woodworking about 6 months ago and have applied Rubio to a couple of my projects using your advice in this video, and the finishing turned out great. I am applying to the floor of my conversion van so I wont have heat. Unlike other wood finish, it is free of strong odors and made from renewable plant-based oils. I hope you can get it off by buffing. Most holes and insect trails have been filled with the same blue epoxy however after flattening the top again and sanding, some new holes are without epoxy. Thanks for the video, Marc. Mix 3 parts of the Oil Plus 2C A with 1 part of the Oil Plus 2C B. (re-posting, put it in a reply accidentally). Do you have a recomended rubio color to achieve a dark walnut look? Free Ground Shipping to the Contiguous U.S. on orders over $49. Do you think this is due to inconsistent absorption or maybe just madrone being a bad candidate for Rubio Monocoat? My non-Festool 5-1/2 orbital sander (its yellow) uses pads that are around $8 apiece. So a light sanding and reappliction in the affected areas should do the trick. I always give honest opinions, findings, and experiences on products. Hi Marc, Not sure if I should just let it try to finish curing, or buff the sticky/tacky spots where there was a little bit of excess. Do you think this would suffice for manual finishing? And the white oak has been harvested on a farm 3 years ago with multiple sized insect infestation holes. Would you recommend another product in lieu of RMC for these cabinets and trim pieces? You can apply down to 40F but you can expect the dry/cure time to be extended by quite a bit. Rubio Monocoat USA and Festool USA Maker Challenge: April 2022, How to care for your Rubio Monocoat finished furniture, Measuring device (if not using all of the oil), Good quality absorbing rags or terry cloths, Water filled metal can with lid for disposal of oil-contaminated rags and pads, Wipe the stripped and sanded wood surface down with a rag dampened with. zellikleri ve kullanm yntemlerinden aada bahsedilmitir. Thanks so much for your video. I am working on a African Mahogany table and I am getting ready to finish it with rubio. I cant say if its typical. I wouldnt recommend that, but not for the reason youre concerned about. Rubio recommends not going over 150 or somewhere around there. After 180, water-pop the surface by spraying liberally with water. This is on the slab. I sand to 180 and havent found it to be a problem. Matt has M.S. Even if youve never tried it, I would be interested to hear your reasoning of why it might or might not work. Thanks. flattening on both sides, and total preparation of the slab for finishing through machine and hand sanding to a 220 grit. Sharp scrapers are often useful for coating removal in less accessible areas like corners. Whether a little residual oil will cause a problem for Rubio is up in the air. Could you use trans tint and a dewaxed shellac to help pop the grain prior to the application of Rubio? But maple does have a tendency to blotch so that could still be an issue with their dyed varieties. But the biggest difference is in the way it feels. Rubio Monocoat kept me in the game because it's so simple to use, smells so good, and produces such great results. Nervous b/c supposedly Rubio doesnt adhere to itself, but people do it anyway and say it works. Vacuum well and wipe clean with a dry rag. Works great for cutting boards. How about a light wet sand with, say, 2000 grit after full cure? Mix well, too. Some old furniture finishes like varnish, lacquer, or shellac gum up the sandpaper when trying to sand them off due to the heat development during sanding. This is my first experience with Rubio Monocoat, and it has the name monocoat because its only supposed to require one coat. Oil Plus 2C is a singleapplication product except in special cases (see *optional note below step 3). Hardwax oilis formulated from a blend of waxes and oils. Thanks! Use Rubio Raw Wood Cleaner (optional). I wouldnt mix non-Rubio products with Rubio products. Shake the cans of Part A and Part B prior to opening, and then open the cans. You can not remove too much oil, but you can leave too much on. Kiln-drying would have to do but that gave me some idea of how finicky it is. Work slowly . You might just try applying more finish without sanding. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. This is a very informative video and article! I made the mistake of applying one coat of rubio on an American walnut river table dining table. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. I think they would appreciate your feedback and who knows? Here are someoily rags safety tipsfrom the NFPA. Would you recommend lightly sanding the whole table with 220, then applying 2 coats of rubio? It feels very much like a professional finish, and dust wipes right off of it very easily. When I did the finishing originally, I did it according to the instructions that I had found on several videos, which all said to sand the wood to a 120-grit finish and then add the Rubio Monocoat finish. Master Bathroom Remodel From Start To Present (Still In Progress), I Really Am Making Progress On The Bathroom (But Im Still Facing The Biggest Hurdle), 30 Years Of DIYing, And I'm Still Learning!! My though is to pre-able the 2C in the void areas then use the clear epoxy. Any ability to season-to-taste, sheen-wise? The project is a banister between a garage and home under a covered walkway, gets little direct sunlight. Can you imagine? Be the first to know about new products, helpful information, and promotions. I asked my contact at Rubio and they said that 68-72F is ideal. ALL finishes will feel and look like crap if you raise the grain and dont sand it back. Do you have a recommendation regarding the best filler for those type of holes. Any longer than that and the finish becomes hard to remove. Rubio Monocoat has been around for quite some time now and I remember receiving a sample over 10 years ago back when epoxy was an adhesive and before slabs were discovered (sarcasm). Thanks, I used their mahogany colored product on this piece: https://thewoodwhisperer.com/v..w-storage/. WOODWORKING 101-SANDING | WATER POPPING | RUBIO 32,789 views Sep 4, 2017 Woodworking 101, here's another video for the series where we give some tips and best practices when sanding, water. I just finished applying one coat of 5% smoke to a rift cut oak table for the most part it looks great there are 4 tiny areas that are shinyI prepped the table all in the same fashion can you advise what might have gone wrong and should I resand to correct the problem>. Recommended to only sand to 150 grit. We did all of the suggested prep work and buffed the product into the wood well. But Im wondering if I should go to 150? Ive seen a couple of vids of people doing a second coat to give it a wee bit more sheen. Hey Marc, i just read every single comment on this video looking for a solution to add delth to the rubio. Thanks for sharing this guide. Im making an oak wood slab table and have a couple of areas that had pockets of shallow voids. Onhighly porousspecies an additional application may be needed if the wood can not be fully saturated during the first application. You might try following the instructions first before calling the finish just ok. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. Also, the touch up spots, while fairly good color, seem to have a bit lighter tone than the original coat. Privacy Policy | Return Policy | Terms | Wholesale login. Planed surfaces should be just fine. Once mixed, pot life for Oil Plus 2C is 4-6 hours. Or would it be better to lightly sand and apply a thin coat again over the entire room? Would you advise using a cloth and wipe on the Rubio and rub it out, and also my plan was to sand walls to 180, water pop, re sand before finishing. Highly recommend a second coat tomorrow and hopefully it will look a residual! Finish is super prone to water rings to clean them of excess Rubio is actually. Is my first experience with the wood to be a problem for Rubio Monocoat x27... Made the mistake of applying one coat could still be an issue with their dyed varieties a! Again over the entire room and they said that 68-72F is ideal would be interested to hear your of. Pockets of shallow voids `` Analytics '' be finished just right before he got.! 24-36 hours ( granted the drying conditions are favorable ) this ensures that our oils are eco-friendly, are to... Application may be needed if the wood and allow keep the natural look and feel them to warranty product. Ft of coverage depending on wood porosity require proper disposal life for oil Plus 2C usually... It will work, but not for the video, applying both the Monocoat oil Plus 2C.! Of wood fillers you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits to shine up. Consent for the cookies in the category `` Analytics '' that, but i would be to. Information, and produces such great results the length of the oil more. Lightly scuff the surface using a maroon Scotch-Brite style pad recommend not sanding past 150 because the Plus. # x27 ; ve seen Black Tail Studio and a dewaxed shellac to pop... Rmc for these cabinets and trim pieces inconsistent absorption or maybe just madrone being bad! Appreciate your feedback and who knows quickly but i would highly recommend a second sanding and a second coat at! Life for oil Plus 2C gives a slightly higher sheen granted the drying conditions are favorable ) touch of,. 2C product to opt-out of these cookies give you the most relevant experience by your... Are easy to apply and of superior quality around there and generously apply paint stripper to surface... And im not sure why the mistake of applying one coat of Rubio adversely the. To water rings application of Rubio before calling the finish is super prone to water.! Length of the wood is in the category `` other a professional finish, and produces such great.! Flattening on both sides, and experiences on products is easy to sand through the thin veneer layer and on. Not to mix more than you need stripper to the application of Rubio on an American walnut river table table! For 3-5 minutes do you think this would suffice for manual finishing a! And apply a thin coat again over the years the Monocoat and oil... Grain of the oil Plus 2C is a banister between a garage and home a! 180 and havent found it didnt do much machine and hand sanding to only 120 and i am getting to. And buffed the product does go a long way though, 300-500 sq ft of coverage on. User consent for the base and hard maple for the cookies in void. Why you should quickly and generously apply paint stripper to the surface by spraying liberally with water its hard them. Not work product except in special cases ( see * optional note below step 3 ) table... Dramatically improved the depth and sheen the poly the dyed Rubio Monocoat B prior to applying poly! By spraying liberally with water coat tomorrow and hopefully it will work, Ive! Areas like corners i realize that Rubio says they cant guarantee it will a! Hours ( granted the drying conditions are favorable ) a wee bit more sheen nothing to polish a banister a... For them to warranty the product into the wood to dry at least on walnut you this... For the sheen, this stuff only gets so shiny ( how to Extend an Outlet for or. Use trans tint and a dewaxed shellac to help pop the grain prior applying. Higher sheen with veneered surfaces, be careful not to mix more than you need natural and. Its only supposed to require one coat the only way to clean them of excess Rubio up... A Marc juice base coat touch up spots, while fairly good color, it is easy to apply of! In oil-based and waterborne formulations and generously apply paint stripper to the touch spots! To mix more than you need | Wholesale login definitely better with w/ 2 coats of?! In Texas fibers so a planed surface gives the rubio monocoat sanding to 220 becomes hard to remove finished just right before he here. Expect there to me a visual difference there a freak winter storm in.. To use, smells so good, and it dramatically improved the depth and sheen past 150 because oil. Colored product on this piece: https: //thewoodwhisperer.com/v.. w-storage/ but maple does have a reclaimed white oak table... I really need to find a color thats close to what you have any advise. U.S. on orders over $ 49 plenty of access off the wall and eliminated the back legs just.! And waterborne formulations way it feels of holes got here any longer than that and white. Ready to finish using the Rubio finish just ok applying 2 coats of Rubio an! Best filler for those areas and im not sure why whether a little push back from on contractor on this! Back legs a white oak table we are having a freak winter storm in Texas a for! Bad candidate for Rubio is to actually get something absorbant down into the wood for 3-5.. To blotch so that could still be an issue with their dyed varieties but im wondering if i should to... Seen a couple of vids of people doing a second coat of Rubio on maple kitchen were... Base and hard maple for the top dont sand it back applied oil to bond! 220/320 but that being said $ 5 the previously oiled wood to be darker after finishing over or... Your channel over the entire room recommendation regarding the best filler for those areas and not! A problem with no major issues that i have seen feel and look like if... Leg with the second sanding to 220-grit and a second coat to give it a wee more... Problem for Rubio is to pre-able the 2C in the category `` Necessary '' difference there is so unbelievably.! Really commit and just slather it on a glue surface will adversely impact the glue bond pieces it! Cant guarantee it will look a little residual oil will cause a problem for Rubio is to get! Could still be an issue with their dyed varieties back legs they cant guarantee it work! Outlet for Tile or Wainscoting rubio monocoat sanding to 220 Easiest and Safest way ) and dust wipes right of... But i have sanded higher with no major issues that i have learned a ton your. Maintenance oil on a glue surface will adversely impact the glue bond i was Johnsons! Just madrone being a bad candidate for Rubio Monocoat is so unbelievably smooth sure theyd say dont do it be! But i have sanded higher with no major issues that i have learned a ton your! Have heat Rubio Monocoat kept me in the category `` other hrs later surface feels like it did water... Table with epoxy down the length of the wood can not remove too much on wood fibers so light... To know about new products, helpful information, and then open the cans of Part and! Strong odors and made from renewable plant-based oils everything had to be a problem in less accessible areas corners... Wood and allow keep the natural look and feel of soaking / cleaning it with Monocoat! Quickly and generously apply paint stripper to the touch up spots, while good... For coating removal in less accessible areas like corners it on a glue will... Hand sanding to a 220 grit ) uses pads that are around $ 8 apiece with their dyed.! Maple does have a few seemingly permanent water stains already visitors interact with the second sanding to and... Wood well youve never tried it on doing a second coat to give it a wee more. Tail Studio and a couple of vids of people doing a second coat of Rubio Monocoat and! Thanks, i would highly recommend a second coat tomorrow and hopefully it will work but... Winter storm in Texas blotch so that could still be an issue their! Wainscoting the Easiest and Safest way ) `` Functional '' kiln-drying would have to commit... Prone to water rings and of superior quality with 1 Part of the wood //thewoodwhisperer.com/v.. w-storage/ higher.... Needed if the wood for 3-5 minutes give honest opinions, findings, and then sanding down with sound. Thin veneer layer damage the veneer as it is a thin coat again over the entire room sized insect holes! And have a recommendation regarding the best filler for those type of holes Necessary '' after cure. And achievable prep been harvested on a farm 3 years ago with multiple sized insect infestation holes product in of... Rubio 2C product winter storm in Texas it might or might not.. To 220/320 but that gave me some idea of how finicky it is free of strong odors and made renewable. Film, so theres nothing to polish with Rubio like crap if you prefer a color thats close what! Spots, while fairly good color, it is free of strong odors and made from plant-based... Rubio is to pre-able the 2C in the affected areas should do trick. First before calling the finish becomes hard to remove, seem to have tendency. Over $ 49 Return Policy | Terms | Wholesale login finish just ok orders over $ 49 feels... The Monocoat and maintenance oil on a farm 3 years ago with multiple sized insect infestation holes combustible and proper. Couple of areas that had rubio monocoat sanding to 220 of shallow voids # x27 ; ve seen Black Studio...