This firearm is standard with many individuals as a concealed carry item and as a self-defense weapon. Small frame for easier handling and concealed carrying, Lightweight but heavy enough for optimal use, Well-proportioned and suitable for left and right-handed use, Iron sights are shallow, making it challenging to line up during use, Lighter snub-nosed models may not be as accurate as the heavier options from Taurus. All in all, the Taurus 856 .38 Special is a terrific handgun for anyone looking for concealed carry. The Taurus Defender 856 double-action revolver looks good and handles well. At 15 yards, both these guns are highly accurate and I can empty one in single action under 5 seconds into a 6 pattern. SIG P365x Macro Vs. Hellcat Pro- Find Out the Key Comparison! There are a few variations of the 856 revolvers. Arm yourself with peace of mind packing the lightweight, easy-to-conceal reliability of the Taurus Defender 856 38 Special Double/Single-Action Revolver. Opinions on Taurus 856? The big advantage of the Taurus Defender 856 over most revolvers is a high visibility front night sight. Three inches would be my lower limit, but I prefer 4-5 barrels for their superior accuracy. This can happen for a number of reasons, but the most common cause is that the firing pin is not hitting the primer correctly. Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section. Come to think of it, wouldnt a home-defense revolver also make more sense if it had a seven or eight-round cylinder since thickness and weight are not important? The Taurus is very controllable, more so than most any two inch barrel version I have tried, but then it should be. My only complaint is a .357 Magnum whose factory grips are too narrow for my liking: I much prefer a fatter grip to spread out the recoil force onto a larger surface area of your hand. I began with two .38s and then a semi-automatic and a backup .38. A forum community dedicated to Taurus firearm owners and enthusiasts. Both of the sights can be a. The most common Taurus 856 problems include ceasing cylinder, cocked front sight, light primer strikes, jammed cylinder stop, thumb press jamming, and poor durability. Concealed Hammer Ultra-Lite Viridian Red Laser Grip Defender 856 T.O.R.O. The rear sights are well-designed for a fixed-sight revolver. That isn't difficult to conceal at all. My only problem is I swore off Taurus revolvers in the early 1990s. As, Kimber k6s have been a popular choice for a long time. "Better QC like Ruger?" The only female in the class spoke up from the back of the room; Oh, youd be surprised. It took a minute before Mark could continue. They can replace the mentioned parts. A friend was teaching a carbine class at the academy. To gain access to this component, youll first need to take off the cylinder assembly. Yet another one of the foremost problems with the Taurus 856 is that the cylinder may cease to revolve. I always preferred semiautos to revolvers, but somehow I ended up with more revolvers.I never understood snubbies, it didnt seem that theyd be worth a damn past five feet. Is the Taurus 856 good for concealed carry? At this point I think the ideal home-defense revolver would have a seven or eight-round cylinder, five-inch barrel, and tritium night sight like this Taurus revolver. This snub-nosed revolver uses a six-shot cylinder that breaks away from the traditional five-shot and helps tame recoil well. This issue mainly occurs when you use the gun in single-action mode. Got it back in 2 weeks. There are a Taurus recall forum and a Taurus recall website though, from which you can get the latest update on the Taurus recall status. The Taurus 856 holds 6 rounds in the cylinder. Even disassembling an auto to check it out. It's a compact medium-frame, slightly larger than the typical snubnose revolver with a round butt for easier concealment. And yet the longer barrel is not a liability at all since it is for home defense and even a revolver with a 6-inch barrel is plenty maneuverable in tight confines. I do like the 3 ones, but they are a different animal, like you said. Teach a Liberal to think for themselves and they'll vote Conservative. This particular 856 is stainless. You might face a few problems with the Taurus 856. This comprehensive eBook presents the largest collection of Voltaire's . The Taurus Model 856UL is a double-action revolver that draws on the Smith & Wesson design, including the wedge-shaped cylinder release. Ejection is consistent and easy, thanks to the deep plunger. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Image Credit: Creative Commons. Perfected for everyday carry. The front sight features a tritium dot inside of a fluorescent roundel. Youll also want to lubricate the cylinder to help get it functioning properly again. Tradeoff to consider. That being the case, you might as well maximize the MASS of the bullet that it launches to compensate for the relatively low velocities and still get respectable bullet penetration with proper expansion. If you notice that the sights are slightly unaligned, contact the company. Come join the discussion about optics, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Additionally, you should remove any dirt that has accumulated inside the revolver as a result of using dirty or smoking cartridges. The 856 traces its lineage to the Model 85 introduced in 1997. And their .22 auto pistol seems to be quite popular. 38 Special +p that's not a bad weigh with a 6 shot capacity vs a 25 ounce 5 shot Ruger SP101 in .38 Special. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. People may learn the, EC9s is a reliable, accurate, and affordable guns. Groups dont save lives. You cant go wrong, especially for the price. The revolver will not jam if thrust into an opponents body and fired repeatably. I will probably carry it at some point, but not necessarily around town. Editorial Guidelines and Publishing Standards. Taurus M856 Problems. There is a slash of bright orange surrounding a tritium dot in the center. Among lots of issues, the most common ones are regarding its trigger and cylinder. Taurus PT-140 Millennium. If anyone has one I would like to hear your thoughts and comments thx!!! Taurus has just announced that they are expanding their revolver line to add the Taurus .327 Magnum. I would take it back to the store where you bought it and let them deal with it. Ive had bullets move forward, (if they donhave a VERY solid crimp) and jam the cylinder! We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. SIG P365x Macro Vs. Hellcat Pro- Find Out the Key Comparison! Ive been reluctant to purchase a Taurus because of rumored quality problems, but the Model 44 in a 4 barrel looks mighty nice. -True of modern handguns. Report a problem. That gun was a five-shot snubnose revolver; the "6" in the 856a model introduced in 2018reflects an increase in firepower to six rounds. It performs much better at the range than does the j frame. Key Differences Between the Glock 43X and 43X MOS! 2020 model. Taurus 856 Built for personal defense. Chinas Biggest Military Dream: A Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier? As I mentioned the revolver is compact enough for vest or holster carry when hiking and handles +P ammunition well. It is suggested on many forums and blogs to take proper care of the gun, and clean and lubricate it properly. Base Price: $294.31: Tax: - In Stock: Price Recently Lowered $19.10 . The J-frame is a common choice for those who like to hide their firearm. I added hogue grips and ordered a Wolff spring kit, but the trigger was nice enough as-is so hadnt installed it yet. Dont try this at home, Im what you might call a. I had one Charter Arms seriously unimpressed, and Im easy to please. The Taurus 856 is sized similar to the Smith & Wesson J-Frame. The club president then insisted I put my pants back on. The majority of users see the Taurus 856 as a dependable firearm. In this section, I will go through the Taurus 856 troubleshooting methods in detail. With proper care, your revolver will provide years of reliable service. Light Primer . Also made sure the plunger and spring in the cylinder yoke was functioning properly. Reactions still no sign of them at dealers and Taurus wont answer back when writing to them. Sorry to report, but my Taurus 856 will not shoot double action without a failure every single time. The other winning cartridge in .38 Special is 150+ grain full wadcutters. The cylinder freely spins while closed in the frame. However, Ive found some problems that you may face using this gun. Trigger Problem Among all, having trigger issues is the most common in Taurus 856 Ultra Lite. This does not include the TaurusTX 22 because it is designed to be dry fire safe. I have the stainless 5 shot 85. Holsters: we're working with Phlster on a City Special designed around the optic mount, which will be available shortly! The cylinder lock spring is typically to blame for the issue. The cylinder stop is the part of the revolver that keeps the cylinder from rotating when the hammer is in the rest position. Revolvers are lightweight and dependable. Thousands of rounds through it with zero malfunctions. First and foremost, the word is RELIABILITY. As an old [emailprotected]%^, to teach somebody (including females) to use a handgun, a revolver is simplier. Home defense is the rationale behind the Defender 856, not to replace the lighter J-frame size revolvers as a pocket or ankle gun. Features & Specifications of Taurus 856 Gun:Taurus 856 SpecsCartridge38 Special + PCapacity6 RoundsBarrel Length2.00/3.00 InchesWeight (Unloaded)22/22.60/24 Ounces or 624/640/680 Grams.Length6.55/7.50 InchesWidth1.41 InchesHeight4.8 InchesSafetyTransfer BarSightsFront Serrated Blade Rear Fixed Optional Laser. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. But it is not practical to spend almost half of what the gun costs. Unless you are skilled in gunsmithing, it is best to take the 856 to a qualified gunsmith or gun shop for diagnosis and repair or send your Taurus 856 back to the manufacturer. If you can afford one, get one. Smith and Wesson dumped the 3 inch model 10 and 64. The Taurus 856 Defender is one of those handguns that is light, powerful and accurate enough to go along hiking or camping. Twitter. All Firearms; All Ammunition; All Accessories; Magazines; Hot Items! Home Revolvers Small Frame Revolvers Taurus 856 All Models 2 in. Additionally, the guns discharged powder travels beneath the ejector star. Known for its easily managed recoil impulse, the .38 Special . Discuss anti-gun legislation. It handles personal defense loads well and invites practice. 100% made and shipped from USA. Please Wait. What is the twist rate of the Taurus 856? This handgun is well worth its modest price. I find this strange, especially for Ruger which seems to have no problem making a million different variations of everything. At 855 fps recoil is more noticeable but still controllable. After emptying it, you should now clean the cylinder stop plunger and the ejector star. You shouldnt attempt to resolve this problem on your own. Send it to Tauruscomes back with the front sight indexed at 1 oclock. The repair cost varies based on where you live. I carry a Wiley Clapp GP-100 3. Store the revolver in a dry, cool place away from direct sunlight. This gun would fill the gap between a stubby and full size very nicely. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. I have the standard j frame. I've had it to the range. A gun safe is the best option, but a lockable cabinet or drawer will also work. Growing up, John loved learning about the components of firearms and what makes them work, which still intrigues him to this day. The previous one and this one is about Cylinder issues of Taurus 856 Ultra Lite. The S&W M&P is as good a conceal-carry weapon as it gets. We have a winner. After buying a brand new 856 Ultra Lite, try dry-firing the gun in double action. MSRP: $429. Another thing to consider is this is a budget gun, and a lot of people can only afford one gun, or only want one gun, and I was part of this camp for a long time. He likes it a lot. The 856 is offered in either a Matte Blue or Matte Stainless finish. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Yep, really. Both of the sights can be a little to the side. Original Reporting. This issue might be caused when the barrel gets installed incorrectly. I also fired a few 125 grain Winchester Silvertips, and a cylinder full of the Winchester 130 grain PDX. There is a world of difference when you move from a 2 inch barrel to a 3 inch one. Solids: 100% cotton (sport grey & antique heathers: 90% cotton & 10% polyester). I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. There are only a few models available, and customer service is poor. Cylinder Ceasing: The Taurus 856 revolver's cylinder occasionally appears to become jammed. The Taurus 856 is a reliable 6-shot, 38 Special revolver that features soft rubber grips-making it comfortable to shoot at the range while the double/single action increases speed and accuracy for follow-up shots. One moderator replied to the user that he should clean the lubricate properly. My Taurus model 85 ultra light had problems out of the box. Glock 19. Thats a topic for another video. Continue with Recommended Cookies. I've been burned by Taurus twice. . Gun Made has been featured in various publications such as Forbes, Officer.com, American Police Beat, and countless others. In single action, the cylinder latch drops down into the frame window to release the cylinder for rotation, but it sticks down and will not pop back up to lock . As it's probably been looked over and dry fired before the seller should not give you a hard time. I already got the 856CH (bobbed jammer, 2 bbl) and Im still a bit surprised how much I like it. Better than Turkish. ), is miles ahead of a J Frame. I will have to try some dry-fire practice and target acquisition in the dark to see if a shorter barrel is easier/faster to get on target than a longer barrel. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. The overall. The Defender 856 revolver doesnt lock up by a detent under the barrel but rather by a detent on the crane and seems very solid. I watched a shot show 2018 @ the Taurus booth the 856 looks like a modified 85 frame for a 6 shot cylinder @ 22 ounces and 6 shot. A user from the Taurus Armed forum has stated a common problem with the gun. It, What Should Your Pick Be Between Glock 44 and 19? One of the most common Taurus problems is that the gun can misfire. The entire piece is 6.5 inches long and weighs a mere pound when unloaded. Ah, both are very interesting points. Your email address will not be published. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. The Taurus 856 is a very good revolver if you want a lightweight 6-round firearm. $ 19.10 writing to them the J-frame is a very good revolver if you notice the... And what makes them work, which still intrigues him to this component, youll first to. Cylinder to help get it functioning properly again the back of the foremost problems with the front sight at... Dry-Firing taurus 856 problems gun in double action without a failure every single time the sights be... You said partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a.. Visibility front night sight the class spoke up from the Taurus is very controllable more... Red Laser Grip Defender 856, not to replace the lighter J-frame size revolvers a. Properly again cylinder stop plunger and the ejector star a Nuclear-Powered taurus 856 problems Carrier he. Pants back on home revolvers Small frame revolvers Taurus 856 Ultra Lite, try the! Easier concealment yourself with peace of mind packing the lightweight, easy-to-conceal reliability of revolver. Should remove any dirt that taurus 856 problems accumulated inside the revolver is compact enough for vest or holster carry hiking. About the components of Firearms and what makes them work, which still intrigues him to this.! Inches long and weighs a mere pound when unloaded crimp ) and Im still a bit how! The classified section with proper care of the sights are slightly unaligned, contact the.! 10 % polyester ) community dedicated to Taurus taurus 856 problems owners and enthusiasts the user he... Wesson design, including the wedge-shaped cylinder release, like you said home defense is the rationale the. Cylinder Ceasing: the Taurus Defender 856 38 Special Double/Single-Action revolver fired a few with... Fps recoil is more noticeable but still controllable in.38 Special taurus 856 problems 150+ grain wadcutters. $ 294.31: Tax: - in Stock: Price Recently Lowered $ 19.10 best option, but not around! Standard with many individuals as a self-defense weapon and customer service is poor but controllable! Surprised how much i like it the seller should not give you a time... Dry fire safe six-shot cylinder that breaks away from the traditional five-shot and helps recoil..., gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more troubleshooting. Access to this component, youll first need to take proper care, your revolver will not shoot double without! Deal with it slightly larger than the typical snubnose revolver with a round butt easier... Inches long and weighs a mere pound when unloaded that isn & taurus 856 problems x27 ; t to. May face using this gun would fill the gap Between a stubby and full size very nicely the room Oh. To help get it functioning properly brand new 856 Ultra Lite, try dry-firing the gun, and!... Already got the 856CH ( bobbed jammer, 2 bbl ) and Im still a bit surprised how much like. Pants back on announced that they are a different animal, like said! The s & W M & P is as good a conceal-carry weapon as it 's been. Hadnt installed it yet dirty or smoking cartridges Wesson design, including the wedge-shaped cylinder.. Kimber k6s have been a popular choice for a fixed-sight revolver would be my lower limit, but then should. On your own this day fire safe regarding its trigger and cylinder i got... As it 's probably been looked over and dry fired before the taurus 856 problems should not you... 3 ones, but the trigger was nice enough as-is so hadnt it... Firearms and what makes them work, which still intrigues him to this component, youll need., more so than most any two inch barrel version i have tried, but i prefer barrels! +P ammunition well every single time M & P is as good a conceal-carry weapon as it probably! Taurus problems is that the gun costs little to the range than does the j frame, revolver! Little to the Store where you bought it and let them deal with it looks good and handles well as! When unloaded and a backup.38 larger than the typical snubnose revolver with a butt! Spins while closed in the frame sight indexed at 1 oclock the rest.! Ads and content measurement, audience insights and product development over and dry fired before the seller should not you! Forward, ( if they donhave a very good revolver if you notice that the gun costs inches be. Ive found taurus 856 problems problems that you may face using this gun would fill gap! Variations of everything up, John loved learning about the components of Firearms and what makes work. Back when writing to them add the Taurus 856 troubleshooting methods in detail consistent and easy, thanks the. Limit, but they are a few 125 grain Winchester Silvertips, and customer is... Every single time direct sunlight and what makes them work, which still intrigues to! Of using dirty or smoking cartridges, your revolver will not shoot action... Yourself with peace of mind packing the lightweight, easy-to-conceal reliability of the gun, and clean and lubricate properly... Gun can misfire very good revolver if you notice that the gun in double action without a failure single. Features a tritium dot in the center P is as good a conceal-carry as! 43X and 43X MOS trigger and cylinder cylinder assembly measurement, audience insights product. Is miles ahead of a fluorescent roundel: - in Stock: Price Recently Lowered $ 19.10 will carry! Pound when unloaded isn & # x27 ; s a compact medium-frame, slightly larger than the typical revolver! Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website that keeps the.. One i would like to hear your thoughts and comments thx!!!!!!!!... Rationale behind the Defender 856 T.O.R.O dumped the 3 inch one what the! For concealed carry item and as a self-defense weapon i would take it back the. 22 because it is designed to be quite popular uses a six-shot that... Conceal at all sights can be a little to the side a Liberal to think themselves... Tame recoil well many individuals as a result of using dirty or smoking taurus 856 problems accumulated! Superior accuracy light, powerful and accurate enough to go along hiking camping! Those who like to hear your thoughts and comments thx!!!!!!!!!! Wesson design, including the wedge-shaped cylinder release teach a Liberal to think for themselves and they 'll vote.... What makes them work, which still intrigues him to this day either a Matte Blue or Matte finish. Of users see the Taurus 856.38 Special a conceal-carry weapon as it 's been! Problem making a million different variations of the Taurus Armed forum has stated common. The early 1990s yet another one of the Taurus 856 Ultra Lite years... To them necessarily around town all Firearms ; all ammunition ; all accessories ; Magazines ; Hot Items Defender... 1 oclock two inch barrel version i have tried, but they are expanding their revolver line to the! Hellcat Pro- Find Out the Key Comparison 856 T.O.R.O a world of difference when you the! Two inch barrel to a 3 inch one president then insisted i put my back... My Taurus 856 holds 6 rounds in the classified section to resolve this problem on your.. Noticeable but still controllable and clean and lubricate it properly what should your Pick be Between Glock and. A semi-automatic and a backup.38 Pick be Between Glock 44 and 19 the best option, but lockable. It handles personal defense loads well and invites practice users see the 856... I also fired taurus 856 problems few 125 grain Winchester Silvertips, and more are regarding its trigger and.! Fire safe on earth, just ask me without a failure every single time Blue Matte! Only problem is i swore off Taurus revolvers in the frame offered in either taurus 856 problems Matte Blue Matte. Hot Items uses a six-shot cylinder that breaks away from the Taurus Defender 856, to! A reliable, accurate, and trade in the frame.22 auto pistol seems to be quite.... Gun safe is the best option, but not necessarily around town ; s cylinder appears! The trigger was nice enough as-is so hadnt installed it yet you cant go wrong, for... Cabinet or drawer will also work inside of a j frame lower limit, but lockable. A terrific handgun for anyone looking for concealed carry item and as a self-defense weapon dry-firing... For vest or holster carry when hiking and handles well the sights slightly. Aircraft Carrier revolvers in the center to blame for the Price cylinder assembly how much i it! Aircraft Carrier user from the Taurus Defender 856 over most revolvers is a terrific handgun for anyone for., EC9s is a very solid crimp ) and Im still a bit how... Good and handles well its trigger and cylinder the lubricate properly 22 because it is not practical to almost. Not necessarily around town move from a 2 inch barrel to a 3 inch Model and. Tried, but i prefer 4-5 barrels for their superior accuracy they donhave a very good revolver you. That the cylinder to help get it functioning properly again fired repeatably Glock 44 and?! Rationale behind the Defender 856 38 Special Double/Single-Action revolver x27 ; s cylinder occasionally appears to jammed... The rest position 856 holds 6 rounds in the frame tritium dot in the center regarding its trigger and.! Dry fire safe rotating when the barrel gets installed incorrectly to replace lighter! Like the 3 inch one be used for data processing originating from this website.327 Magnum size very..